What is a Soul Tie?
A soul tie is the spiritual knitting of souls between two people. Soul ties can be formed between romantic partners, family or friends. In a romantic relationship are formed through sex but they can also be emotional in nature. They can be so strong that one person can begin to take on the behavior of the one they are soul tied with. Only God can break a soul tie through prayer, (which I’ve added at the end of this post) but there are few things we can do to facilitate healing as well.
Healthy soul ties
An example of a healthy soul tie is in the book of Samuel. 1 Samuel 18:1 reads : “And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that athe soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, band Jonathan loved him as his own soul.” 1This is an example of a healthy (non sexual) soul tie. Jonathan and David were good friends who shared a deep bond. Other examples of a healthy soul tie is within marriage or with a parent and child ( which can also become unhealthy).
Unhealthy soul ties
An unhealthy soul tie can be formed when two people become too attached emotionally or form an attachment through sex. The Bible talks about a man and woman becoming one flesh (Genesis 2:24) and this is because spiritually, the sexual union between two people is an act that says they are married. The heart and mind could be saying, “I’m just having fun!” but the physical act in the spirit actually means these two people are married whether they know it or not. 1 Corinthians 6:16 reads “Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For p“the two,” He says, “shall become one flesh.”
I know a lot of people talk about soul ties on social media in terms of one’s ‘energy’ being off and all that new age stuff. The internet is so quick to throw ‘energy’ onto everything when really this is a real spiritual issue that only God can fix. Listen, soul ties will have you thinking about an ex- boyfriend or girlfriend from 10 years ago. A soul tie will have you in an abusive relationship that never should have went past hello. Oh yes ma’am its that serious. Sex comes with major consequences, more than the eye can see. It’s not just about’ protecting‘ yourself with condoms or popping’ a pill so you don’t create a human being.
Effects of soul ties
- Behaving out of character.Have you ever dated someone and you actually started to behave/act more like that person? If they were angry all the time, you became angry. If they smoked you started smoking? Again, because you became one with this person, you began to take on their characteristics. This happened with a young girl. She became mentally unstable because the man she slept with had mental issues running through his family bloodline. She was able to get delivered, thankfully.
- Depression/ Feeling like you can’t move on- When you break up with someone whom you’ve had a sexual relationship with, it is going to hurt badly. Sex is a spiritual exchange. When you sleep with different people your soul becomes fragmented and the person takes a bit of your soul with them. This is why a lot of couples sometimes can’t connect sexually. Angela, Tom, Sarah, David and whoever else took a bit of them each time they engaged in sexual intercourse, and essentially one’s spouse gets the left overs, which may not even be substantial at all . This is also why single people literally feel like they’re in pain and like their world is ending when they sleep with someone and then suddenly the sex appointments stop becoming so frequent.
- You become distant/far from God- why? Sin separates us from the Lord.
- You’re married you find yourself cheating and you feel like you can’t stop–this is a soul tie, and this is why a lot of people get divorced…they never bothered to take care of spiritual issues before marriage.
No condemnation: Steps to healing
I wrote this to help my readers understand the spiritual implications of having sex outside of marriage. I’m not here to condemn you or point fingers. Even if you’ve made a mistake in the past or even right now as you read this, as long as you are breathing you have the opportunity to make things right by repenting.
The very first thing you need to do (after repenting) is go no contact this means make friends with that block button. Delete the person from all social media, block, unfollow, unfriend whatever you need to do. This is one of the fastest ways to heal. Let your friends and family know not to give you updates about this person, so you can focus on your healing.
To get this process started and to get an in depth understanding about soul ties, I HIGHLY recommend you listen to Pastor Robert Clancy’s Youtube videos on the subject. He explains what soul ties are and leads into warfare prayer to break them. Find them here and here. It’s time to regain your freedom! These videos were & still are a blessing to me. I pray they will bless you and I pray the Lord will deliver you in a mighty way. Something else I recommend is Paula Rinehart’s book titled ‘Sex and the soul of a Woman: The reality of love and romance in an age of casual sex’.
Father in the name of Jesus, I repent for having sex outside of marriage. From today,I chose to honor You with my body and present it as a holy and living sacrifice. I ask that you keep me hidden under your umbrella of protection. I plead the blood of Jesus over the soul tie between myself and _______, and I ask that you break this soul tie between: ________ and I. I command the fragments of ________’s soul to return to him and the fragments of my soul to return to me, making me whole. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.
Keep your heart with all diligence,Proverbs 4:23 NJKV
For out of it spring the issues of life.
- Emotional bonds create attachments and if you just started talking to someone, your emotional attachment should not be very strong. In order to guard your heart, keep conversations casual. Keep deep forms of emotional bonding for your spouse. Deep conversations form unnecessary attachment even though the relationship isn’t defined, and this can be dangerous. An Emotional connection is what women naturally long for. Men tend to long for sexual connection and eventually they both come to a meeting point in someones bed! Run fast!
- Guard your heart! What does that mean (in this particular context)? Your heart is your inner feelings, thoughts, choices and will. These things make you who you are as a person. When you don’t control your heart, they can become actions you may not have wanted to take but took them anyway because your heart was set on it.
- Go out with the opposite sex in groups. Sounds a little elementary but it works. It takes the pressure off to be alone/secluded and gives the chance to know other people collectively.
- Your single season is a time to form a strong/close relationship with the Lord, and to get delivered from certain things and to break generational curses.It is certainly not the time to jump from bed to bed, which causes more harm than good.
- Get involved in church, your community and a weekly bible study. When you are productive, you won’t have time to look to the left or right to see what this guy or that guy is doing. But really, I’ve found that when I’m productive (and social)I tend to stay focused.
Safe sex is married sex. Not boyfriend and girlfriend sex, not casual sex with condom and not cohabiting sex. Don’t let the world deceive you.
I do hope this blessed someone! If you’ve experienced a soul tie, how did you deal with it? I would love to hear about it, comment below!